Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Like Children in Christ...

I've been working on a long, time consuming blog entry that just is taking longer to put into words.  But hopefully this quick illustration or visual will hold me and you over for a least a day or 2.

I've heard being "saved" or "born again" compared to a natural birth (into this world).  In the sense that we are born into this world as babies.  We need milk, we need someone to take care of us, and to carry us (ex. we can't walk).  And then we begin to crawl and then progressively  learn to walk and become more independent.

Our spiritual "re-birth" is similar in comparison.  When we are reborn spiritually, we start off as being milk-fed the Word.  We rely on our pastors...a lot.  To teach us and grow us.  Then we begin to crawl...then walk, etc.  Some Christians stay in the infancy stage of Christianity.  We just kind of wait to see what we will be "fed" next.  And trust God will just take care of us.  But we must grow up eventually to truly be transformed. We need to grow in our relationship with Him through his Word.

As I'm going through the stages of making big decisions for my life, I am reminded that I am not quite a "baby" in Christ but not yet mature either.   I'm asking for His wisdom and waiting for the "ok" from God.

I  had a mental picture of a toddler just learning to walk.  At the age where he sort of knows what he/she should be doing or not doing.  When they are in unfamiliar territory, they are walking and exploring but constantly looking back for mom and dad to make sure that what they are doing, or where they are going is right...or wrong.  They may hear a "no" which signals; stop, turn back or don't go any further.  Or they may hear, "it's ok" signaling they can keep on....keepin' on.  But sometimes they just get a a reaffirming smile or nod.  Or maybe even nothing.  But they can feel safe that they aren't doing the wrong thing.  Not yet anyway.

I'm like that with God...or I need to be like that with God...not sure right now.  I get a vision for what I want to do or what I think He wants me to do.  But I need to keep looking back at Him.  To make sure I'm "ok" or to see if He gives me a "no, not right now."

Regardless, I need to be ready for and expecting a response.  I need to be paying attention to Him.  I need to trust that He will stop me before I screw this up.  Or at least give me a reassuring nod to carry on.

No comments:

Post a Comment